Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this recipe and thought it looked great; can't wait to taste the plum dipping sauce! :-) It is Emeril's recipe, but I modified a seasoning, to suit my tastes. This recipe was taken from foodnetwork.com and posted for ZWT.
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup very cold water (Ice cold is best)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup plum preserves
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch five-spice powder
Gingered Stir-Fried Vegetables
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot, cut on the bias 1/4
- 1 1⁄2 cups snow pea pods, stringed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh porcini mushroom (thinly sliced, stemmed)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh shiitake mushroom (thinly sliced, stemmed)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion, cut on the bias 1/4-inch thick
- Lightly coat the chicken strips in the cornstarch, shaking to remove any excess; set aside.
- In a large pot or wok, preheat the oil to 360 degrees F.
- In a bowl, beat the egg with the cold water; add the flour and 5 spice powder and mix lightly and quickly just until smooth. (Do NOT overbeat).
- Dip the chicken into the batter, shaking to remove any excess.
- In batches add to the hot oil and fry, turning, until golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Plum Sauce:.
- In a saucepan, combine plum preserves, vinegar, shallots, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and 5-spice powder, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Stir, reduce the heat and simmer until thickened and the flavors are married, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the plum sauce from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Let cool to room temperature.
- Gingered Stir-Fried Vegetables:.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar, and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over high heat.
- Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots and stir-fry until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add snow pea pods and mushrooms and stir-fry until beginning to soften, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add the green onions and soy sauce mixture and stir to coat. Cook for another 45 seconds, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and serve with the Tempura Chicken Fingers and Plum Dipping Sauce.
great recipe . i used hake fish filets and didnt use flour just cornstarch turned out great loved the flavors that the five spice impart goes good with the rice from cooken nurse on menu zaar tour 6
This was SO fun to make :) It was my first tempura and I made it with my mom for ZWT6. The recipe was easy to follow and it turned out very delicious. The plum sauce is the best sweet & sour sauce I've had so far, so it is going in my permanent recipe folder :D