Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, adapted from "Emeril's Potluck, 2004
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 lbs top sirloin steaks, trimmed and sliced into strips about 1 x 3 inches
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 lb large white button mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed, and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb wide egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cook the bacon in a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven over high heat until slightly crispy, about 7 minutes. Meanwhile, season the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Add the beef to the bacon and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and the flour. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the red wine and the beef broth. Stir to blend and bring to a boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and the Essence. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, red and green onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine 4 quarts water, the olive oil, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil, add the noodles, and cook until al dente, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the beef sauce and the sour cream and toss to coat evenly. Pour the mixture into a deep 9 x 13-inch baking dish. (This will be a tight fit.) Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the noodle mixture. Place the baking dish on a large baking sheet and bake until bubbly and golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm.