Recipe by BecR
These are some of the best candied sweet potatoes I have ever eaten! Kicked up with bourbon, real vanilla bean, brown sugar, butter, orange, and cinnamon. YUM!
- 8 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8ths
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 vanilla beans, split in half lengthwise (or 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon (I use Jack Daniels)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large heavy pot, combine the potatoes, sugar, water, orange juice, vanilla beans, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt. Bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Strain the potatoes out of the sauce and place in a casserole dish. Return the sauce to the pan.
- Add the bourbon to the sauce and cook (stirring often) on medium-high heat until syrup is thickened, about another 15-30 minutes.
- Pour the syrup over the potatoes and place in the oven. Bake until the potatoes are browned, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the butter, stirring gently to incorporate.
- Serve immediately.