Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love Emeril because he almost never lets me down. This recipe came from an episode of Emeril Live. I usually use fresh broccoli, and roast it just until it browns up around the edges. I also add about 1/2 teaspoon of Essence of Emeril along with the thyme and nutmeg.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup yellow onions (white parts only) or 1 cup leek, sliced (white parts only)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, chopped (fresh)
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups broth
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- crouton (to garnish, recipe follows)
- In a medium pot, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme cook, stirring, until fragrant, for 20 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well blended and smells fragrant, 2 minutes. Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender, for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender. (Alternatively, in batches, puree in a blender or food processor and return to the pot.)
- Add the cream and bring to bare simmer to heat through. Add the cheese and cook over low heat, stirring, until melted. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, stirring to blend.
- Remove from the heat and ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle croutons over the top of the soup and serve immediately.
- 1 cup 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubed French bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Essence or Creole seasoning, recipe follows
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the bread in a medium bowl and toss with oil and Essence. Spread evenly on a small baking sheet and bake, stirring twice, until light golden brown on top, about 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
This is my favorite broccoli and cheese soup, too. I prefer using leeks. They give it a milder flavor. It takes a little longer to prep them, but it is worth it. Just be sure to soak and swish them in water after slicing to remove all of the dirt. This recipe freezes very well. I make huge batches and then freeze in portions in freezer safe plastic bags.