1/1 Photo of Emeril's Beef Chili Cheese Fries
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
A great Super Bowl or teen party snack (or a hearty nosh for anyone)! Make the chili ahead of time, then just dish it up on some cheesy fries and serve! Emeril's original recipe calls for deep-frying shoestring potatoes yourself, but I use the frozen-fry shortcut! I also seemed to need more masa harina than originally called for. Can also be made with vegetarian meat crumbles. Cook time includes chili preparation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 -4 tablespoons masa harina flour
- 1 (1/2 lb) bag frozen french fries or 1 (1/2 lb) bag waffle-shaped French fries
- 1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1Season onions with salt and cayenne and saute, stirring, until they begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- 2Add the beef, chili powder, cumin, red pepper, and oregano, season with salt and cayenne, and cook until meat is done (no pink).
- 3Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and 2-1/2 cups beef stock, bring to boil and reduce heat to medium-low.
- 4Simmer uncovered about 1 hour, stirring occasionally and skimming fat that rises to the surface.
- 5Combine masa harina flour with remaining 1/2 cup stock.
- 6Slowly add to the pot, stirring to blend, which will thicken the mixture.
- 7Cook for 30 minutes and correct seasoning.
- 8From here, Emeril deep fries his own shoestring French fries, but I use frozen French fries or waffle fries to save time (and mess!).
- 9Prepare frozen potatoes as package directs.
- 10Lower oven heat to 400 degrees F, place fries in bottom of a large glass rectangular baking dish.
- 11Sprinkle cheeses over the fries and bake for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 12Remove pan from oven and spoon hot chili over the top of the fries.
- 13Garnish with sour cream and jalapeños and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Beef Chili Cheese Fries
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 892.6
- Calories from Fat 561
- Total Fat 62.3 g
- Saturated Fat 30.1 g
- Cholesterol 193.4 mg
- Sodium 1501.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 52.5 g