Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the sauce Emeril made to go in the 1-2-3 Lasagna recipe. This makes about 10 cups or 1 1/2 quarts of sauce. This makes enough sauce for the lasagna recipe, plus another batch to freeze for later.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces; Set aside.
- In a heavy 5-quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce,tomato paste, water, and sugar, stir well, and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, and use as needed.
Great basic lasanga sauce recipe. I halved the recipe and doubled the spices, as the other reviewers mentioned, plus added 1 T parmesan & about 1.5 T italian seasoning also. This is much cheaper, healthier and overall better than store-bought. Will make again-thanks.
He can do no wrong. I made this sauce and used to make the meat sauce recipe for his fabulous 123 lasagna and it is perfect. Do not use store bought anymore. E calls it his red sauce. Linda
I made a double batch of this which made two lasagnas with about 8 cups of leftover sauce. I appreciated the mild flavor (This recipe is from Emeril's "kid" cookbook) but would definitely recommend more garlic/double spices for many adult palates. I spent several min. breaking up the tomatoes with my hands before adding to the pot and my sauce turned out mostly super smooth (with a few chunks). I have a NY pizza cookbook and that's how they prep the tomatoes. Thanks HeatherFeather! Roxygirl