Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Emeril Lagasse, 2007
- 12 ounces thickly sliced lean bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved, if desired
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sugar (optional)
- In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over moderately-high heat until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Add the onion and garlic to the pan, reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the softened vegetables from the pan and set aside.
- Add the Brussels sprouts in batches and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown on the outside.
- Add the reserved bacon and vegetables to the Brussels sprouts in the pan along with salt and pepper, to taste, and a pinch of sugar.
- Cover skillet with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are just tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Made these for lunch and they hit the spot! I like the addition of the sugar, helps to caramelize the sprouts; and everything is better with bacon! Will be making these again!! Made for 2012 Spring PAC.