Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is Emeril's recipe off the Food Network site. I wanted to spread around the goodness. Just a heads up that some of the other Food Network reviewers felt the salt content was a little high. Otherwise,...BAM!
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 whole turkey breast (5 1/2 - 6 lbs)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a shallow roasting pan or baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Rinse the turkey breast and pat dry.
- Cook the bacon in a medium skillet until crisp then transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the rendered bacon fat.
- Finely mince the cooked bacon when it has cooled and transfer to a small bowl.
- Add the garlic, sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme, butter, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Mix thoroughly to combine and form a paste.
- Gently loosen the skin on both sides of the turkey breast so that it is separated from the flesh.
- Divide the herb paste in half and gently spread half between the skin and flesh on each side of the breast.
- Season the outside of the turkey breast with the remaining teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Brush the turkey all over with the reserved bacon fat.
- Place prepared turkey breast in the prepared pan and roast, uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the deep portion of the breast registers 165 degrees F, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 or 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving into thin slices.
- Serve with the pan drippings.
I've used this recipe 2 years in a row for my and my hubby's Thanksgiving dinner. I do deviate: I use dried herbs, skip the salt (the bacon has enough salt IMO) and use olive oil instead of butter. Still very good. Worth the try if you have a small family.