Recipe by Tish
This such an amazing recipe that I couldn't resist sharing it with those of us who really enjoy a simple but complex taste combination. It will freeze well if you are a once a month cook
Top Review by Hag chef
This was SO good! We had this for our 'gourmet', (see my about me page) and my friend made two versions, one with white cheddar and one with the roquefort, as not everyone likes blue cheese. We liked the one with the roquefort better! It had a nice tangy flavour. Thanks for submitting this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese, , or other creamy blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons tawny port
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, until just beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, cayenne, and bay leaf, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Remove from the heat and puree until smooth.
- Add the light and heavy creams, and stir well to blend.
- Gently reheat and barely simmer; careful not to boil.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cheese, the thyme, and Port, and whisk until the cheese is just melted.
- Adjust the seasonings, to taste.
- Top each serving with some of the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and the crumbled bacon.