1/1 Photo of Emeril Lagasse's Potato, Onion & Roquefort Soup
1 hr 30 mins
This such an amazing recipe that I couldn't resist sharing it with those of us who really enjoy a simple but complex taste combination. It will freeze well if you are a once a month cook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese, , or other creamy blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons tawny port
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the onions and cook, stirring, until just beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- 4Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, cayenne, and bay leaf, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 5Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- 7Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- 8Remove from the heat and puree until smooth.
- 9Add the light and heavy creams, and stir well to blend.
- 10Gently reheat and barely simmer; careful not to boil.
- 11Add 3/4 cup of the cheese, the thyme, and Port, and whisk until the cheese is just melted.
- 12Adjust the seasonings, to taste.
- 13Top each serving with some of the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and the crumbled bacon.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril Lagasse's Potato, Onion & Roquefort Soup
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.7
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 59.3 mg
- Sodium 539.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: