Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My dear husband makes this recipe and it is my very favorite clam chowder. From Emeril Lagasse.
Top Review by yedenmatka
Wow!!! This is one of the best Chowder recipes I've ever tried. I don't think I'll be trying any others after tasting this one. I did tweek it a bit. I added 1 and a half cups of milk as I got it a little too thick and it turned out WONDERFUL!!! Thanks for sharing this one. It rocks!!!!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped leek
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 lb white potato, peeled and medium diced
- 4 cups clam juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 lbs littleneck clams, shucked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy stock-pot, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the leeks, onion, celery, and carrots.
- Saute for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes.
- Stir in the clam juice.
- Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the mixture until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and bring up to a simmer.
- Add the clams and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle into shallow bowls and serve.