Recipe by emmalee1942
You discover that you are out of Teriyaki Sauce just as you start your favorite stir-fry recipe! This recipe is an emergency solution when there is no time for a quick run to the store. It is also a healthier Teriyaki Sauce version for those of us who need to monitor their sodium intake.
Top Review by bameiboo
I made this tonight for a shrimp and veggie stir fry. I found the amount of sugar wasn't enough so I added another tablespoon, a little pineapple juice and finely a squeeze of agave. But note I didn't have rice wine vinegar and used apple cider vinegar. I read that it's not as sweet and more sugar maybe needed. So it must have been good cuz my hubby ate two plates of stir fry and ate some out of the pan. He usually doesn't finish one plate of dinner, and I'm a good cook!
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine soy sauce, water, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until thickened. When the sauce becomes glossy remove from the heat immediately, so the thickening doesn't break down.
- Continue your stir-fry.