Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very simple and very moist. Be sure to use Dutch-processed cocoa and not anything else. I used Hershey's Special Dark, and it didn't have as much chocolate flavor as I would have liked. I think this might be good with some dark or white chocolate chips folded in.
- 473.18 ml flour
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 177.44 ml Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 295.73 ml water
- 236.59 ml Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 14.79 ml vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degress; lightly spray an 8-inch square cake pan with oil spray.
- Whisk flour, sugar and baking soda together in large bowl.
- In separate bowl, whisk cocoa and water trogether until smooth. Whisk in the mayonnaise and vanilla. Stir the mayonnaise mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
- Put into pan; smooth the top. Bake until toothpick tests clean but with a few crumbs attached, about 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on rack 1 - 2 hours May top with confectioners sugar sifted over top.
This is a great cake! The Dutch cocoa really made this. I've used mayo in cakes before so that wasn't a problem. The cake was moist and delicious. I topped it with a dollop of Cool Whip on each serving. Thanks for sharing this quick and easy recipe. Made for ZWT7-Switzerland.
Good choccy cake though I was nervous about the mayo !! Great standby recipe ! Made for ZWT 7