Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious side dish, perfect with pork, chicken or fish.
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups arborio rice
- ground black pepper
- ground nutmeg
- Bring the stock to a boil in a pot.
- Add the wine, reduce the heat and simmer.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok.
- Gently fry the onion and garlic until soft but not brown, 2 minutes.
- Then add the rice and stir fry until the grains are translucent and coated with oil.
- Add a ladle of stock, adjust the heat to maintain a gentle boil and stir until the liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Keep adding the stock, a ladle at a time, and stir constantly until the rice is almost cooked, 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and more stock and boil, stirring, until the rice is cooked. Risotto rice should retain a bite but the mixture should be of a soft, dropping consistency.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Serve straight from the pan.
Just right! I doubled this for a main course. This is a go-to recipe for when i have a lot of baby spinach to use. I also added a nice dose of grated Parmesan at the end. There was just enough left for breakfast. ;) Thank you! Made for Diabetic Forum Greens Tag 5/12.