Recipe by riffraff
This is my favorite rice dish. We usually add a chopped hot pepper too for heat. Also, I like it best with Campbell's soup. We have tried to use cheddar cheese but it is not as good. Mom says you can make it with instant rice but I do not like it as well. If you used brown rice, increase the cooking time a bit.
Top Review by Loves2Teach
This is one of my favorite things that my Emaw makes!! Thanks mom for posting it :) It is sooooo flavorful and moist! I like it best with banana peppers because I do not like it too hot. I have also made it and added chopped onion and topped it with sliced cheese. You have to try it! Thanks mom!!
- 1 cup uncooked converted long grain rice or 1 cup brown rice
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 slices American cheese, broken into large pieces
- 4 -5 fresh anaheim chilies, hatch chilies or 4 -5 sweet banana peppers, seeded and very roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix everything in a 2 quart casserole using the milk to rinse out the soup can.
- Stir halfway through, be sure to stir all the way to the bottom.
- Add more liquid if it starts to dry out before rice is done.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes until rice is tender.