Recipe by riffraff
This is my mother's cornbread recipe. She uses a cast iron skillet which produces a beautiful crust. This is not sweet cakelike cornbread but authentic Southern cornbread that we eat with a big pot of beans or peas and she uses it for her Cornbread Dressing which is also posted on this site.
Top Review by Marsha D.
Fabulous recipe!! I had no problems whats so ever.I did had about 1/4cup of sugar to the mixture. We like it alittle sweet. My cornbread was just perfect and DH was very happy. I used bacon grease in the bottom of my cast iron skillet and it made for one mighty fine cornbread. Thanks so much for sharing Emaw's recipe!!
- 3 cups cornmeal (as course a grind as possible)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups milk (she calls it sweet milk, meaning not buttermilk)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or 2 teaspoons bacon drippings
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 8 inch cast iron skillet in 400 degree oven with oil or drippings in it.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- When skillet is good and hot remove from oven and pour in cornbread.
- It should sizzle good.
- Cook at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Turn out on rack to cool.
- Bottom should have a lovely crust.