Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Emaw is my Momma and this is her recipe. She is very specific in her instructions and she guarantees (if you do what she says, lol) a family pleasing dish. Great flavor and great on a cold night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat chili and water in small saucepan over medium heat till hot.
- Put Fritos in a 2 or 3 quart baking dish.
- Scatter chopped onions over the Fritos (do not stir).
- Place 4 slices of American cheese on top.
- Pour heated chili and water over all this.
- Put remaining cheese on top of chili (do not stir).
- Pour tomatoes and juice over this AND DO NOT STIR!
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until bubbly in the center.
Easy dinner, I reduced the water a bit but the fritos were still a bit too mushy. However, my family still ate it up! Next time I will reduce the water a bit more and cutback on the cooking time a few minutes.
I love frito pie so I decided to try it Emaw's way. It was okay. I prefer not baking as long so that the fritos still stay kinda crunchy. Making it this way, the fritos get very mushy and all I could think of was baby food. I'm sorry riff but it just didn't go over well here. Dan wouldn't even eat the leftovers. I think this is one of those times that I should just stick to what I know I like.
Oh Emaw! Have you made this Texas girl happy!I prepared this Friday night as a special treat using left over chili from our chili cook-off. I followed your instuction exactly. Never once did I stir but I was so tempted. This dish was just too easy and better yet it was absolutely sinfully delicious! Passed this recipe over to my daughter. We really enjoyed this. I will be making this often and thinking of you! Thanks so much!!!!!!!!