Recipe by Caryn Gale
This cake is a deep dark brown. It is so easy and comes out perfect everytime. When I moved to Israel, I gave Elyse cake decorating lessons and she shared this recipe with me. It is the only chocolate cake recipe I use. It is so easy, my husband (who can barely microwave a hot dog) made this for me and it turned out great. This is the perfect base if you are going to ice/decorate it. Just put it in the freezer overnight first and the icing spread beautifully. Just as easy as Duncan Hines and much cheaper too.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is a MARVELLOUS TASTY cake! I made this today for our April Fools party and it was gone in seconds! Luckily, me, the baker, got a few crumbs to munch on, lol;) This is a really really tasty cake. I did use a little milk when preparing the coffee, that's the only addition I made. Also, your right about the icing---spreads beautifully and looks awesome on top! Thanks a hundred and one times for the recipe!!
- 1 cup cocoa
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups coffee (2 tspn. instant coffee plus 2 cups boiling water mixed)
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all dry ingredients in the mixer.
- Turn mixer on low and slowly add the wet ingredients 1 at a time.
- Pour into 2 greased round pans or 2 square pans.
- Bake 350 for 45minutes-1 hour.
- Freezes well.
- Hint: line the pans with baking paper for easy clean up.