Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 banana, mashed (ripe)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Spread peanut butter on one slice of bread.
- Mash banana and spread it on the other slice of bread.
- Put the slices together to form the sandwich.
- Melt butter (not the peanut butter) in a frying pan.
- Fry the sandwich in the pan on both sides until it's golden brown.
Substituted whole grain bread. Used organic banana, natural (unhydrogenated) peanut butter. I saved time, utensils and steps by mashing the banana on the bread. So it took me less than 5 minutes to prepare. Easy. 1 skillet, 1 knife, 1 paper plate. Delicious, it was. And very nutritious. The sauteeing took the dryness out of this popular sandwich. Would I serve it to guests? To the young at heart, yes. And the heating of the banana gave it a decided Deep-South flavor, almost exotic.
I love this sandwich fried or not, it's a delicious combo. One thing though, Elvis' version of this sandwich has mayo and bacon on it!