Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a gooey butter cake, perfected by the lady herself, Ms. Paula Deen, and is a tribute to Elvis Presley. She's my favorite chef and I'll give anything she makes a try, even if it doesn't interest me. This recipe is definitely worth a try and takes one of my childhood favorites (peanut butter and banana sandwiches) to new heights.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 whole banana
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar (16 oz package)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter together and mix well. Pat into a lightly greased glass 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Prepare the filling.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla. Add the peanut butter; beat. Add the banana and butter and mix well. Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over the cake mixture. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. You want the center to be a little gooey, so do not over bake. Top each cake slice with a mint leaf and dollop of whipped cream.
I saw Paula make this on her show and made it (I did leave out the Peanut butter). It was good but really, really rich and sweet. My husband and I suffered through and finished it off in about two days ;)