1/2 Photos of Elva's Swedish Meatballs (Sma Kottbullar)
1 hr 40 mins
Simply Succulent! A great dish that Bird's Dutch/German mom would make for me when I was growing up. It's overlooked sometimes how recipes are an heirloom of our family heritage. I'm glad she gave me this recipe to remember her with. For Chef #107583's lighter, healthier version, try Elva's Swedish Meatballs (Sma Kottbullar) (Made Lighter)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, mix together the meats, white pepper, and soy sauce thoroughly. Set aside.
- 2In a small saucepan, brown the onion in the 1 tbsp butter. Set aside.
- 3in a med bowl, soak the bread crumbs in the cream. Set aside.
- 4Add egg to the cooled onion mixture, then add that and the bread mixture then add that to the meat mixture. Work the mixture until well blended and smooth. Add more milk if neccessary to give a smooth consistency.
- 5Roll the meat into bite-sized meatballs. Arrange meatballs on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- 6Melt a 1 stick of butter and put meatballs into a large frying pan. Let them brown, and shake the pan now and again so that they roll around, removing each one when they are ready. Add more butter to the pan if needed.
- 7When all the meatballs are cooked, remove them from the pan. Strain juices from pan, keeping 1/4 cup of juices. wipe the pan clean.
- 8Stir juice back into the pan with 1 tbsp flour to create a roux. Season with more white pepper. Pour cream into the pan and stir until slightly thickened.
- 9Return meatballs to pan and coat with sauce. Let the meatballs bubble gently for a few minutes. Serve in a large party bowl with toothpicks inserted into a few meatballs.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elva's Swedish Meatballs (Sma Kottbullar)
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.7
- Calories from Fat 496
- Total Fat 55.1 g
- Saturated Fat 31.5 g
- Cholesterol 235.0 mg
- Sodium 616.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 20.1 g