Recipe by Pagan
This is quite spicy and takes a bit of a fuss to make, but it is way more than worth it. If you are serving children, I recommend leaving out the Tabasco and all the peppers, save for the black pepper as it may be way too hot for them. If you love Italian food, I highly suggest giving this a try. It is most excellent and great with any type of pasta. Works well with home baked Italian bread and a nice garden salad with lettuce and spinach.
Top Review by StacyMD187373
This pasta was really good! At first I wasn't really sure, but as I was eating, it was tasting better! I used whole wheat penne, made a half recipe (which made about 4 good size servings) and turkey pepperoni. For once, it actually took a little less for me to make than the stated time which is a plus. Will make this again; DH even had seconds. I do agree that the recipe would make a bit more sense if the ingredients were listed in order. I also did not think it was very spicy.
- 10 ounces whole grain pasta, of your choice
- 3 ounces italian style sliced pepperoni (cut into small pieces, about 6 pieces per slice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose whole grain wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, minced (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium white onions (finely chopped) or 1 medium purple onion (finely chopped)
- 1 lb deboned bite sized chicken breast
- 28 ounces peeled crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta by instructions on box using salted water; rinse, drain and set aside.
- Over a medium heat, in a large skillet, saute celery, bell pepper, onion and mushroom in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until onion is clear.
- Add pepper flakes, oregano, basil, garlic, black pepper and salt.
- Cook [stirring often] for another 5 minutes.
- Add cayenne pepper, Tabasco® sauce, pepperoni and chicken; stir, cover and cook over medium heat until chicken pieces outsides are white.
- While chicken cooks, in another medium skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, add the remaining garlic and mix very well.
- When oil is hot, SLOWLY stir in the flour, 1 tablespoon at a time mixing well until it is a thick paste.
- Stop adding the flour and remove from heat.
- Mix in 8 tablespoons of the tomatoes and blend very well, quickly, into a thick tomato paste.
- Add remaining tomatoes, stirring during addition and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Stir into cooked chicken mixture, add cream cheese and blend well.
- Return to heat and cook an additional 8 minutes to ensure thorough heating of the tomatoes and melting of the cream cheese.
- Either mix into cooked prepared pasta, or spoon over a bed of the pasta.
- Top with grated parmesan and serve hot.