Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a huge favorite at my house. There are never any left overs, and this is one of those meals which calls the family members home on nights when it's served. This goes wonderfully with cheese biscuits. This was requested (kinda) by another member. Cooking time is long to accomodate the mincing of the vegetables/spices. This is also wonderful with fish! And a natural with chicken. If you want to try this with chicken, increase the rosemary to 1 full teaspoon and definitely add the garlic!
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika (toasted and set aside)
- 1 lb thick spaghetti (uncooked weight) or 1 lb pasta, of your choice cooked, drained, and set aside (uncooked weight)
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled, cooked, and warm (cooked weight)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄2 lb butter or 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 2 tablespoons 2% low-fat milk (or higher)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- spread paprika out on a cookie sheet and toast in 400° oven for 7 minutes and set aside for later step[this is done to release the flavor of this rich spice].
- cook pasta according to directions, drain, and set aside for later step.
- peel and boil [or boil and peel, whichever you prefer] medium shrimp just until pink, drain and place on top of pasta.
- cream butter with the flour.
- place in double boiler with the milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne over medium flame/heat, stirring continually for 8 minutes or until smooth.
- when smooth and thoroughly heated, add parsley, chives, garlic, fennel and rosemary.
- blend and cook for additional 4 minutes continuing to stir, pour over pasta and shrimp, mix well but not enough to tear apart the pasta.
- dish into individual bowls [plates, etc], top with parmesan cheese and dust with toasted paprika.
- serve hot.
We all loved this! The mix of the spices with the sauce was delicious! I will be making this again! Just remember if you don't like it spicy tone done the cayenne. Thanks Fiendish_Dramaturgy