Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is fantastic, even if you don't love onions! It makes an awesome entree or side dish, depending on your tastes. It's Elswet's own recipe. The trick is to choose Vidalia onions. They're sweeter than common onion bulbs, and will cook sweeter for those who are not lovers of onions. Otherwise, you could try purple onions. Those look much prettier in their finished form.
- 4 large onions, hollowed, raw
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground chuck
- 1⁄4 lb ground lean pork, may use one pound of ground chuck and omit the pork
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute, may use salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, finely shredded favorite style
- Cut off both ends of all 4 onions, and carefully scoop out insides, leaving 2 layers of onion for your shell. Set aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except cheese, and mix until thoroughly combined. Spoon into onion shells, cover and bake 40 minutes in a moderate [350°F] oven. Baste with its own juice after 20 minutes, and again after 40.
- Remove cover, add cheese, and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.