1/2 Photos of Elswet's Roast Chicken
2 hrs 8 mins
Just totally awesome. Juicy, flavorful roast chicken. This is a standard at our house. We hope you like it, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs roasting chickens
- 1 large sweet apple, cored and quartered
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground rosemary, measurement after grinding
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, Starbucks Kenya is awesome
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- salt and pepper
- 3 leaves fresh sage
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Wash, dry, and oil your chicken.
- 3Place on rack in a shallow open roasting pan. Rub the skin with salt and pepper, rubbed sage, and fresh ground rosemary. Place onion, apple, thyme, coffee, garlic, and sage leaves into cavity.
- 4Cover the top and sides of the bird with clean white cheasecloth which has been moistened with oil. Place the pan in preheated oven. Do not add water [just the coffee] or cover the pan!
- 5Baste the chicken from time to time with the pan drippings.
- 6Roast for 30-45 minutes per pound, depending on chicken size, allowing longer per pound for a smaller chicken than for a larger one.
- 7About 3/4 through the cooking time, turn the bird breast side up and finish cooking. The chicken is done when the thigh meat is soft when pinched.
- 8Do NOT pierce the skin with a fork as this allows all the wondermous juices to escape.
- 9Remove chicken to a heated platter and serve.
- 10If you do not have access to the oil cloth, loosely cover the bird for the first 3/4 of cooking, turn, and remove cover for the remainder of baking time to allow browning.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elswet's Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.0
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 106.9 mg
- Sodium 101.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 25.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: