Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
For years, everyone around Her has asked for Her (almost famous) pot roast recipe, and for years, She's just smiled and never told. Here it is; the secret recipe --you-- may not want to share! This is excellent when served with Elswet's Jasmine Rice and any brand seasoned Italian bread made in your bread maker.
- 2 lbs beef roast, your favorite cut
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) packet beef stew seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) bagof your favorite frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups cold water
- Set the oil to heat in a heavy 2 quart pot over a medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, pepper, and beef stew seasoning packet, making sure the beef stew seasoning is mixed throughly through the flour.
- Rinse off the roast well under running water, and while wet, deposit into the flour mixture taking care to thoroughly coat both sides of the roast by flipping it over in the flour several times.
- Carefully place the floured roast into the hot oil and let it brown for 8-12 minutes (check it) before turning to the other side and repeating the process.
- When browned, add five cups of water, the last teaspoon of salt, and one bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Once boiling, set timer for 30 minute intervals, and turn roast over every 30 minutes carefully to insure flour crust is not broken; turning roast over makes the juices run from one side of the roast to the other and internally bastes the meat.
- After turning every 30 minutes for five times (two and one half hours' cooking time), add frozen vegetables and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Take remaining flour and beef stew seasoning mixture and whisk with three cups cold water to reduce lumping, and pour over roast, carefully stirring around to mix through vegetables.
- Finish cooking for another 30 minutes.