1/1 Photo of Elswet's Baked Potato Soup [ Diabetic Version ]
This is one of those Old World family favorites my dear Wife's family handed down. We hope you enjoy it. The alternate ingredients are for those without dietary concerns. Also, if the potatoes are soaked free of the starch, the carbs will be greatly reduced from the Nutritional Facts' Information.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices fat-free turkey bacon, may use 10 slices bacon
- 2/3 cup fat free butter substitute, may use 2/3 cup margarine
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour, may use 2/3 cup white flour
- 7 cups skim milk, may use 7 cups milk
- 4 large potatoes, soaked the night before, drained and rinsed, boiled, peeled and cubed
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, finely ground
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes, may be omitted for a smoother soup texture, alternately, you may add more for a thicker soup
- 1In a large pot, brown your bacon, drain the grease, crumble, and set aside.
- 2Over medium heat, melt the margarine substitute and add in the flour, whisking thoroughly.
- 3Slowly stir in milk and stir constantly until sauce thickens.
- 4Add in potatoes and onions, stir to mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring often to avoid scorching of the milk.
- 5Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Mix in your crumbled bacon, cheese, sour cream, instant potato flakes, and salt and pepper.
- 6Cook until cheese melts, stirring often.
- 7Serve hot, topped with fresh unmelted shredded cheese, and a small sprinkling of chopped green onions.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elswet's Baked Potato Soup [ Diabetic Version ]
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.1
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 29.4 mg
- Sodium 878.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 20.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free turkey bacon
fat free butter substitute