Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Grandma Elsie made these often. I remembered I thought they were Styrofoam when I was a kid--until I tried on of course!
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup sour cream (or vanilla ice cream!)
- 40 strawberries
- Combine egg whites, almond extract, cream of tartar and salt.
- Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Drop by tablespoons onto a cookie sheet covered with brown paper. Using the back of the spoon, make a small depression in each meringue tart.
- Bake 45 minutes at 250°F Then turn the oven off and leave tarts in the oven with the door closed for one hour (longer if they are not cool and/or crispy). Cool away from drafts.
- Place on tsp sour cream into each tart and top with berries. You can substitute vanilla ice cream for a more filling dessert.