Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This always reminds me of my Great Aunt Elsie, who always makes the GREATEST pies...Hope that you enjoy it too!!!
- 1 cup key lime juice or 1 cup lime juice or 6 -8 key limes, quartered
- 16 ounces water
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- If using 6 to 8 limes instead of lime juice, put water in blender or food processor, set processor on puree, and with processor running drop lime slices in, one at a time.
- Key limes are very tough--do not drop in too many at one time.
- Drop in 8 to 10 slices, maybe more if you have a really powerful blender or processor.
- Process completely, then pour through strainer into another container.
- Make sure to press out all of the juice, discard lime remains then pour the lime juice back into blender.
- Again, drop in lime slices, repeating the above process until you have processed all of the limes.
- Set aside 1 cup of the resulting lime juice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend key lime juice with the sweetened condensed milk.
- Add the sour cream.
- In a separate container, beat the eggs, then add to the key lime mixture and beat for 1 minute.
- Pour mixture into the graham cracker crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool pie completely, about 1 hour.
- Top with whipped topping and put in freezer.
- Freeze at least 3 hours.
- Serve straight from freezer.
- Cutting the pie is made easier by wetting a knife in hot water before slicing.