Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
From a Borden recipe booklet I picked up in 1993. Makes a 9-inch 2 layer cake. A wonderfully light cake in texture with a great chocolate flavor. This is a bit of work with the extra chill times but it is definitely worth it. Remember to store this in the refrigerator.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 (3 5/8 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix (4 serving size package)
- 1 cup whipping cream, stiffly whipped
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick spray.
- Mix together the cake ingredients and beat on low for 30 seconds until combined and then another 2 minutes on medium. Pour cake batter into the prepared 9 inch pans.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until cake is done. Cool cake for 10-20 minutes in pans and then remove from pans and cool thoroughly.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat the condensed milk and chocolate until well blended.
- Gradually beat in water then pudding mix until smooth.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat again until smooth.
- Fold in whipped cream (which has been previously stiffly whipped).
- Chill again for at least 1 hour.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate and top with 1 1/2 cups of the mousse mixture (a metal spatula works best for even spreading).
- Top with remaining cake layer and frost sides and top of cake with remaining mousse.
- Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh berries or shaved chocolate ribbons if desired.
- STORE covered in the refrigerator.
I made my own chocolate sponge cake (I didn't have any cake mixes OR pudding mix) but the mousse frosting was great, no AMAZING! I think it would also go great with a vanilla cake too. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT8 (The Fearless Red Dragons)
I really like the chocolate mousse filling/frosting. I've used it on other cakes for a change up. It makes for a decadent cake!