From a Borden recipe booklet I picked up in 1993. Makes a 9-inch 2 layer cake. A wonderfully light cake in texture with a great chocolate flavor. This is a bit of work with the extra chill times but it is definitely worth it. Remember to store this in the refrigerator.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350F and prepare two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick spray.
- 2Mix together the cake ingredients and beat on low for 30 seconds until combined and then another 2 minutes on medium. Pour cake batter into the prepared 9 inch pans.
- 3Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until cake is done. Cool cake for 10-20 minutes in pans and then remove from pans and cool thoroughly.
- 4In a large mixer bowl, beat the condensed milk and chocolate until well blended.
- 5Gradually beat in water then pudding mix until smooth.
- 6Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 7Beat again until smooth.
- 8Fold in whipped cream (which has been previously stiffly whipped).
- 9Chill again for at least 1 hour.
- 10Place one cake layer on a serving plate and top with 1 1/2 cups of the mousse mixture (a metal spatula works best for even spreading).
- 11Top with remaining cake layer and frost sides and top of cake with remaining mousse.
- 12Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
- 13Garnish with fresh berries or shaved chocolate ribbons if desired.
- 14STORE covered in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elsie's Chocolate Mousse Cake
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.2
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 63.6 mg
- Sodium 411.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 30.3 g
- Protein 5.9 g