Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a recipe that my grandmother used to make.
- 125 g butter
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml milk
- 473.18 ml self raising flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 88.74 ml white sugar
- 2 egg whites
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Beat sugar and butter until smooth in a food processor.
- Add yolks and milk to cake mixture.
- Add flour and vanilla extract and processuntil it's a smooth batter.
- Pour into a 28 cm round container for oven use.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- For the topping, whip egg whites and sugar until stiff.
- Remove from oven, add topping and reinsert into oven.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla custard.
It isn't all the time that I can make a recipe that comes from way back in someone's family, so making & serving this was a treat! However, I'm not much for vanilla custard, so served this with a bit of lemon curd (I know! Maybe unusual, but we liked it!) & your cake was wonderful! Thanks for sharing this recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]