Recipe by Sheila the Great
I saw this on Rachel Ray. she serves it with cheddar smashed potatoes. So yummy and comforting. Perfect for fall. It is lick your pot clean, yeah it is that good. I find myself digging for turnips!
Top Review by kbrebs
This is an excellent dish! I can no long find it on Rachel Ray's site. Glad I found it here! You won't even know you are eating Turnip. Everyone I have made this recipe for loves it!!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs top sirloin steaks, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb turnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups apple cider (good quality, cloudy ones are best!)
- 1⁄2 cup beef consomme
- 3 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese (super aged and super sharp)
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 375.
- Place Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add EVOO and butter. Season beef with salt and pepper and add to pot. Brown all sides, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add carrots and turnips, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add flour, stir to combine and coat.
- Add the apple cider and beef consommé' stir to combine. Bring to Boil, cover and place in the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Once the beef is about 3/4 of the way cooked (about 40-45 minutes in the oven) place the potatoes in a large sauce pot., cover with water by at least 1 inch and place over high heat.Once the water comes to a boil, add some salt and cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain and return to the pot. Add the milk, sour cream, and the cheese. Smash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper and add the chives. Cover and reserve until you are ready to serve.
- When the beef is done. Remove from the oven. To serve, place a spoonful of potatoes in a wide serving bowl. Make a well in the middle of the potatoes and spoon the beef into the center.