Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a little something I made up while waiting out the recent "Elmo" snowstorm. It is a variation on the traditional sacher torte, but from everybody's reaction , probably a good variation. It will take awhile to make, so plan to have some time for prep.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh strawberries, sliced very thin
- 1 cup strawberry pie filling
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam
- 2 cups dark chocolate cake mix
- 2 cups imported dark chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces white chocolate
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry liqueur
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, thawed
- Mix the cake mix per directions. I added a bit more oil and 1 less egg.
- than called for on the box ( 2 eggs per my recipe). Cook for 24 minutes,.
- in two 9 inch round cake pans. I used Bakers Pride cook spray in the pans.
- Cool on racks for 5 to 10 minutes and remove to flat surface to finish cooling.
- I cover the cakes with a clean kitchen towel so they stay moist.
- When cool , slice in half diameter-wise so you have four 9 inch diameter cake layers about 1 inch thick.
- Hint: I used a thin plastic cutting board to section and move the slices.
- Strawberry jelly filling.
- Blend on high the cup of filling, the jelly and the cordial liquor in a bowl.
- Blend until smooth and any large fruit is thoroughly homogenized.
- refrigerate until needed.
- Strawberry creme filling:.
- In the microwave melt the white chocolate, on high for 30 secsonds.
- Repeat and stir between melting intervals. DO NOT cook for longer than 30 seconds at a time or risk burning the chocolate. You could also double boiler melt the chocolate as alternate method.
- Add 1/4 cup heavy cream, save the rest for the outside frosting grenache.
- Slowly add the creme cheese and 1 half of the strawberry filling and jelly to medium mix/blending.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar to the mix.
- Blend for 5-10 minutes or until very creamy and uniform.
- Refrigerate immediatly.
- Chocolate grenache frosting.
- Using the microwave as stated before, melt the entire 2 cups of dark chocolate until totally melted. Add 1/2 -3/4 cup heavy cream.
- Add the butter and mix/blend on high until creamy.
- Do not refrigerate. You need this pliable to spead on the outside of the cake.
- Assemble the layers :.
- first lay one cake layer on serving dish and covering first with.
- Strawberry creme mix .
- Next, lay another layer of cake on top and layer this with the strawberry jelly mix and then add another layer of cake on top.
- Use the thin plastic cutting board to help position the layers, sliding the layers over and neatly on top .
- Finish layering the third level with the strawberry creme mix and add the final layer on top.
- Using a wide spatula , layer the entire ouside of the cake in the dark chocolate grenache mix. Go slowly and do not try to spread too.
- aggresively. When covered and smooth, top with a white chocolate or vanilla frosting "S" in the middle, and or drizzle melted white chocolate on edges as I did.
- Serves 8-10 very happy chocolate lovers.