Recipe by CASNAVY
In "The Office Job" Elliot Spenser talks about the Unforgettable Sandwich. This is an attempt at the recipe he describes! We made it and it was FANTASTIC!
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli turkey (we used organic)
- 1 sweet maui onion, sliced thin (we used Vadalia)
- 4 sliced dill havarti cheese
- 1 heirloom tomato
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green onion, stalk (or chives)
- 4 everything bagels
- ghee or olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Caramelize the onion in Ghee or Olive oil (about 30 minutes).
- Remove some of the dough from inside both sides of the bagel (optional).
- Toast the Bagels.
- Mix the cream cheese, chives, and minced garlic together.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on both sides of toasted Bagel.
- Place many layers of Sliced Turkey on top (1/4 lb total on each).
- Place Sliced Havarti on top of turkey (or, you can use cheddar!).
- Place Sliced Tomato on top of Cheese.
- Top with caramelized onions.
- Place Bagel top on top.
- Wrap in Foil and place in pre-heated oven (400 degrees) for about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- UPDATE: I now use Boneless Chicken Breasts marinated in Balsamic Vinegar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Fry in cast iron skillet (3-4 min/side) sprinkle with Garlic powder and S&P. Remove from pan and slice breasts into 1/2ish inch slices. Return to pan and fry until inside is not pink, but it is still juicy. Add cheese slices to a grouping of slices and let melt. I "toast" the bagels in a flat skillet on the stove-top, brushing each side with EVOO first- then stack everything on them and serve. Everything is already hot, so the cheese melts. WAY BETTER!
- Here is a BLOG that used my recipe and changed it to their liking:.
- And another site with a different version of this sandwich:.