Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
In "The Office Job" Elliot Spenser talks about the Unforgettable Sandwich. This is an attempt at the recipe he describes! We made it and it was FANTASTIC!
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli turkey (we used organic)
- 1 sweet maui onion, sliced thin (we used Vadalia)
- 4 sliced dill havarti cheese
- 1 heirloom tomato
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green onion, stalk (or chives)
- 4 everything bagels
- ghee or olive oil
- Caramelize the onion in Ghee or Olive oil (about 30 minutes).
- Remove some of the dough from inside both sides of the bagel (optional).
- Toast the Bagels.
- Mix the cream cheese, chives, and minced garlic together.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on both sides of toasted Bagel.
- Place many layers of Sliced Turkey on top (1/4 lb total on each).
- Place Sliced Havarti on top of turkey (or, you can use cheddar!).
- Place Sliced Tomato on top of Cheese.
- Top with caramelized onions.
- Place Bagel top on top.
- Wrap in Foil and place in pre-heated oven (400 degrees) for about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- UPDATE: I now use Boneless Chicken Breasts marinated in Balsamic Vinegar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Fry in cast iron skillet (3-4 min/side) sprinkle with Garlic powder and S&P. Remove from pan and slice breasts into 1/2ish inch slices. Return to pan and fry until inside is not pink, but it is still juicy. Add cheese slices to a grouping of slices and let melt. I "toast" the bagels in a flat skillet on the stove-top, brushing each side with EVOO first- then stack everything on them and serve. Everything is already hot, so the cheese melts. WAY BETTER!
- Here is a BLOG that used my recipe and changed it to their liking:.
- And another site with a different version of this sandwich:.