Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy-to-make macaroni and cheese that I've been making for years. This is a great end-of-the week recipe using up leftover deli cheese with American cheese and left over hot dogs or meatloaf.
- 1 (16 ounce) box macaroni (we like the wheels or elbows)
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 lb American cheese, reserve 4 slices (or a mixture of American and assorted deli cheese torn into pieces, does not matter what size as it)
- 2 -4 cooked hot dogs, cut into slices (optional) or 2 -4 leftover meatloaf, crumbled (optional)
- paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions, drain.
- Melt butter or margarine in large sauce pan.
- Add flour and stir until cooked.
- If using hot dogs or leftover meatloaf add to flour and butter and cook until heated.
- Add milk to pan.
- Cook until heated and thickened.
- Add cheese to pan and stir well until cheese melts.
- Add cooked macaroni to pan and mix well.
- Put macaroni/cheese mixture in casserole (2-3 quart).
- Cut or tear the 4 reserved slices of cheese and layer it over macaroni.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cook uncovered in oven for 30-45 minutes until hot and bubbling.
This was great!!! Very easy to make. I did sprinkle some bread crumbs and garlic salt on top with the paprika. Thank you Ellie!!
sounds great! and easy!