Easy-to-make macaroni and cheese that I've been making for years. This is a great end-of-the week recipe using up leftover deli cheese with American cheese and left over hot dogs or meatloaf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) box macaroni (we like the wheels or elbows)
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 lb American cheese, reserve 4 slices (or a mixture of American and assorted deli cheese torn into pieces, does not matter what size as it)
- 2 -4 cooked hot dogs, cut into slices (optional) or 2 -4 leftover meatloaf, crumbled (optional)
- paprika (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Prepare macaroni according to package directions, drain.
- 3Melt butter or margarine in large sauce pan.
- 4Add flour and stir until cooked.
- 5If using hot dogs or leftover meatloaf add to flour and butter and cook until heated.
- 6Add milk to pan.
- 7Cook until heated and thickened.
- 8Add cheese to pan and stir well until cheese melts.
- 9Add cooked macaroni to pan and mix well.
- 10Put macaroni/cheese mixture in casserole (2-3 quart).
- 11Cut or tear the 4 reserved slices of cheese and layer it over macaroni.
- 12Sprinkle with paprika.
- 13Cook uncovered in oven for 30-45 minutes until hot and bubbling.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ellie's Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 895.0
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 92.4 mg
- Sodium 1183.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 40.5 g