Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Don't tell anyone, but I stole this recipe from the restaurant I used to work at. And now you all get to share in it! This vegetarian chili has amazing flavor, and we always ran out early in the day at the restaurant. It is a bit spicy, but just take out some of the jalapeno to get rid of the spice. Watch out, it makes a lot!
- 8 cups black beans
- 4 large red onions, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 4 tablespoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 9 jalapenos, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 bunches cilantro, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- green onion
- Put beans a large pot with several inches of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining ingredients, except the tmoatoes, in a skillet and sautee until soft.
- Add sauteed mixture to beans and add 2 cans of chopped tomatoes. Bring to desired temperature and garnish with chopped green onions.
Rating these high because of the combo of spices. I did use my crockpot to cook these. I cooked them all day with some ham hocks and the last two hours of cooking added the sauted vegies and spices. By the time I was ready to eat them i had no room for the tomatoes. But they were delicious without them. Thank you for this wonderful combination of spices that goes great with the beans. I do have alot of leftovers so i may still add the tomatoes : )