Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These whole-grain brownies are moist, rich and flavorful. You get pure satisfaction without the guilt. From the October, 2009 issue of Food Network Magazine.
- cooking spray
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole-grain pastry flour (or 1/2 C each whole-wheat and all-purpose flours)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate and butter n a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally; do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and brown sugar until smooth, then add the yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Whisk in the melted chocolate mixture until blended. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.
- Spead the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle with walnuts, if desired. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in the pan on a rack before slicing.