Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
My grandma Lorraine Stromgren would listen to WCCO Radio's Joyce Lamont as she broadcasted a daily recipe. My grandma would sit by the radio with pencil in hand to write down those recipe favorites! A cookbook was published in 1979 after 10 years of recipes being broadcasted. Of over 2,000 recipes that had been broadcasted, the cookbook has the recipes that were the listeners' favorites.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in water, cooking oil, vinegar and vanilla- Batter will be thin.
- Line muffin tins with paper cups (to yield 3 dozen).
- Fill each half full of batter.
- On the top of each, put one teaspoon of the cream filling (which is next).
- For the cream filling, combine softened cream cheese and egg.
- Stir in sugar, salt and chocolate.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.
these are really good, .I forgot the chocolate pieces but I fixed it with chocolate ganache frosting.Next time I will be sure to include them. I recommend to increased the cocoa to 2/3 cup. I made half recipe and got 12 cupcakes. thanks for sharing Bec
This was a really good chocolate cake with a few additions. I added an egg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and increased the cocoa to 2/3 cup. For the filling, I just stirred in a 1/3 c chocolate chips, and each cupcake got a small scoop and it was really like cheesecake filling. Tasty. Next time I'll try mini chips or peanut butter in the filling. Baked for 20 min. and the trick to get cupcakes to not stick is spray the muffin tin, add the liners, and spray again before filling.
This was good- not really what I expected. These are more like a cheesecake swirl in the batter- my filling was pretty runny because I softened the cream cheese, so it just kind of sat on top and swirled into the batter a little. They were tasty, however. I drizzled chocolate over the top to make them look pretty as they were for a birthday. And yes, mine were done at 22 min, too.