1/1 Photo of Ella's Chow-Chow
My mother-in-law's recipe for her Southern Chow-Chow. It's delicious on cooked collard greens, lima beans or black-eye peas. You'll find lots of other uses for this tasty condiment. I make a double or triple batch to enjoy throughout the year and give as gifts. These will keep in pantry for 1-2 years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Any combination of the following to make 6 quarts of chopped vegetables
- 2 quarts chopped cabbage (or cabbage & cauliflower)
- 1 quart chopped green tomato
- 1 pint grated carrot (I prefer California grown)
- 1 pint chopped green peppers or 1 pint red pepper
- 1 quart chopped peeled firm pear (do not ripen)
- 1 quart chopped onion
- 1/2 cup canned sliced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1If you don't have all the vegetables mentioned, increase the quantity of the vegetables you do have until you have 6 quarts of chopped vegetables. (However, be sure to use some cabbage, peppers, carrots and onions- the other veggies are optional).
- 2In large pot, stir dry ingredients together, then add liquid ingredients.
- 3Bring all syrup ingredients to a boil and boil until thickened, stirring frequently.
- 4Add chopped vegetables and bring to a boil.
- 5Cook 5 minutes on simmer until vegetables are hot.
- 6Pack into hot, sterilized jars and seal with hot sterilized lids.
- 7Invert and let rest for 2 minutes.
- 8Turn right-side-up and let cool.
- 9When jars are cooled, the lids should be slightly concave which signifies a good canning seal.
- 10NOTE: My mother-in-law never processed them in a water bath, but you may do so for about 30 minutes, if you prefer.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ella's Chow-Chow
Serving Size: 1 (4590 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.0
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1232.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 93.2 g
- Protein 6.0 g