Recipe by MoreWithLessMom
A very sweet, moist loaf. A great alternative for dessert. This recipe evolved from a zucchini bread recipe. This isn’t the healthiest recipe ever, but is a little better than the run of the mill zucchini bread. This recipe qualified for Round Two of the Aetna Healthy Food Fight Cooking Contest. Originally posted on TheMoreWithLessMom.com.
Top Review by ForeverMama
This is a very nice bread and one I will place on my "keeper" files. Very moist and hits the mark on flavor! I did though forget to add the golden raisins (which I was very upset about), but will add them the next time which will be very soon because I have an extra summer squash. Thank you MoreWithLessMom for sharing such a delicious bread. Made it for PAC 2013 Spring Safari
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups summer squash, shredded (the yellow ones, 1-2, using the big holes on your grater or processor)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- Grease two 9 x 5 loaf pans, spray olive oil is a healthy choice.
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Stir in wet ingredients: sugar, summer squash, oil, applesauce and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients: flour, wheat flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Gradually add to wet ingredients.
- Fold in raisins and optional nuts.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 60 - 80 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack, then remove from pans.
- Cool completely on rack before slicing.