Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very sweet, moist loaf. A great alternative for dessert. This recipe evolved from a zucchini bread recipe. This isn’t the healthiest recipe ever, but is a little better than the run of the mill zucchini bread. This recipe qualified for Round Two of the Aetna Healthy Food Fight Cooking Contest. Originally posted on TheMoreWithLessMom.com.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups summer squash, shredded (the yellow ones, 1-2, using the big holes on your grater or processor)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- Grease two 9 x 5 loaf pans, spray olive oil is a healthy choice.
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Stir in wet ingredients: sugar, summer squash, oil, applesauce and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients: flour, wheat flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Gradually add to wet ingredients.
- Fold in raisins and optional nuts.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 60 - 80 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack, then remove from pans.
- Cool completely on rack before slicing.
This is a very nice bread and one I will place on my "keeper" files. Very moist and hits the mark on flavor! I did though forget to add the golden raisins (which I was very upset about), but will add them the next time which will be very soon because I have an extra summer squash. Thank you MoreWithLessMom for sharing such a delicious bread. Made it for PAC 2013 Spring Safari
This is one the best breads I have ever made. I have never had a bread turn out so moist. I have been asked for the recipe numerous times by family and friends. I have given up one of my favorite recipes and have replaced it with this one. You just can't go wrong with this wonderful recipe.