Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Very flavorful steak. This is supurb with mashed potatoes.
- 2 lbs elk steaks
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, dissolved in 3 t water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut elk steak in serving pieces.
- Sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Fry in hot butter, browning both sides.
- Put in a baking pan.
- Brown onions and mushrooms in same pan as the steak.
- Add to steak in baking pan.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over the steak.
- Cover and bake at 350F degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
I made this dish with moose round steak, I added two sticks of chopped celery, and one sliced green bell pepper, and used whole garlic cloves instead of the powder, and canned chopped tomatoes. Very good with garlic mashed potatoes.
yech. took an hour and a half and it ended up tasting like canned stew. and the tomato flavor was way too strong
Cooked this recipe this PM, and it turned out pretty good. I think next time I will pound the steaks out a little thinner and maybe add capers. <br/>I enjoyed the dish, just thought I should "tinker" with it some.<br/>Thanks and have a great one!!!!