Recipe by mary winecoff
I am sure that if you do not have elk sausage you can use regular sausage with this recipe. I found it on the Idaho State Department of Agriculture web site.
- 4 links elk sausage
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 sandwich buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sausage in oven at 325 degrees.
- Heat oil in saute pan. Add onions and cook until very soft, stirring occasionally. Add apples and sugar and cook until browning occurs. Add mustard and finish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove sausages from oven. Put 1/4 of bleu cheese on one side of each roll, put in oven until cheese is melted. Remove rolls from oven, top with sausage and apple mixture.