Recipe by Chef Michael Callahan
This recipe was created by Executive Chef Michael Callahan for the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta Regional Hospital for our Alaska Native (Yupic Eskimo) Patients. When available we substitute wild Caribou for the elk. Please feel free to share this recipe with credit given.
- 1 lb elk roast
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (halved )
- 2 large carrots, - 1 inch slices
- 1 quart low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt & pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a lightly oiled pan, Fry elk and onion until the outside of the meat is seared.
- Place all ingredients (except corn starch) into your stew pot or crock pot. and cook until tender. (4-5 hours in a crock pot, 2-3 hours in oven at 350F).
- Thicken with a slurry of corn starch and water prior to serving.
- Consider using corn starch as a thickening agent whenever possible, especially if you have (or are serving guests) with gluten intolerance.