Recipe by Chef Michael Callahan
This recipe was created by Executive Chef Michael Callahan for the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta Regional Hospital for our Alaska Native (Yupic Eskimo) Patients. We substitute Wild Caribou whenever available. Please feel free to share this recipe with credit given.
- 1 lb ground elk
- 3⁄4 lb ground pork
- 2 slices whole grain bread, crust removed, dried & cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine 1st ten ingredients, mix well and place into a loaf pan (lining the bottom of your loaf pan with bread slices will soak up excess fat.).
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for about 90 minutes or internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Note: Game meats are notoriously low in fat. Using the ground pork will help make a moister meatloaf.