Recipe by STK FD WIFE, A.TITUS
This casserole is great if you have left over meat. I have used elk meat, regular steak meat and ground beef.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs elk steaks, cubed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3⁄4 cup white pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup corn (either canned or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon salt (or less)
- 1⁄4 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 (1 lb) cans tomatoes (diced or stewed)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 green pepper, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute beef, celery and onion in large dutch oven pot until brown.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour into a large casserole dish.
- Cover with lid and bake at 375 for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add extra water if necessary.
- If you are cooking this in a crock pot, brown meat, celery and onions.
- Then add all ingredients to the crockpot, stir and cook on high for 4 hours or until barley is tender.