Recipe by PrimQuilter
My mom is British and has been making this for years. My favorite meal growing up and now it's turned into my teenagers favorite as well. OXO cubes are an English bouillon cube which you can crumble in your fingers. They come in a red box and can be found where English foods are bought. NOTE: If you don't use OXO brand cubes, it completely changes the taste and the salt content !
Top Review by Monique L
I made this lastnight for dinner and we thought that it was good. Not my fav; I love salt and it was a little to salty for me. Next time I make it I will either use more potatoes or less brown gravy mix.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced very thin
- 1 (1 ounce) packageinstant brown gravy mix
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 large potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup potato water
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Add to pot of cold water, bringing to a boil.
- Boil 25 minutes or until soft.
- Drain potatoes, reserving 1 cup of potato water.
- Mash with butter and milk adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, fry your ground beef, carrots and onion together until beef is browned.
- Drain grease.
- Add meat mixture back to pan.
- To your meat mixture add 2 crumbled OXO cubes, brown gravy powder, Worcestershire and 1 cup potato water.
- Mix all together and simmer 20 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Place meat mix in large greased oven proof bowl, topping with mashed potatoes.
- Using a fork, make criss-cross lines on top of your potatoes.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Add cheese to top and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with HP sauce or any English brown sauce.
- Any leftovers are great fried up with a bit of butter.