Recipe by MarieRynr
This is my ex-mother in law's recipe. I got her to e-mail it to me yesterday. It is the best chow recipe I have ever eaten. I've made many many jars of this in my lifetime. You will not be dissappointed if you try this one! I am posting this so I never lose it again! I am guestimating at the amount it makes.
- 9 lbs green tomatoes
- 6 lbs onions, peel and slice fine
- 1 cup salt
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup pickling spices
- 2 1⁄2 lbs white sugar
- 2 1⁄2 lbs brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 red pepper, cut fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the tomatoes and onions in the first amount of water and the salt over night.
- Drain well in the morning.
- Put the spice in a cloth bag, tie shut and crush with a rolling pin.
- Put the vegetables in a pot with the vinegar and second amount of water, putting in the bag of spice.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for half an hour.
- Add the sugars and simmer another half an hour.
- Stir together the cornstarch, dry mustard and tumeric.
- Add a little of the simmering liquid to make a paste, then stir it into the tomato mixture.
- Add the chopped pepper.
- Simmer for 1 to 2 hours til thick.
- Spoon into prepared jars and seal according to manufacturers directions.