Lady of shallot's Note:
This recipe is adapted from an Elizabethan cook book. It uses the classic strawberry spinach combination. Spinach is treated as a fruit and is really delicious. I like to use a sweet pastry in a long fluted tart pan, myself. You've never tasted spinach like this before!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 inch) baked pie pastry shells
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup rose water (check your grocer's bar section)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced thin and mixed with
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 4 tablespoons strawberry syrup
- powdered sugar
- 1Wash and trim spinach.
- 2Put in large pot without draining.
- 3Add 1/4 cup wine.
- 4Cover and steam spinach over medium flame until wilted.
- 5Drain spinach and chop very fine (I did it in a blender).
- 6In same pot combine remaining wine, rose water, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- 7Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- 8Add chopped spinach and stir to coat.
- 9Simmer on low flame, stirring occasionally, until all liquid evaporates.
- 10Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 11Meanwhile set aside 3/4 of strawberry slices for topping.
- 12Take remaining berries and puree with jam and syrup.
- 13Boil in sauce pan to reduce to spreading consistency, stirring often.
- 14Fill pie shell with spinach mixture and smooth.
- 15Spread layer of strawberry sauce over spinach reserving 2 tablespoons.
- 16Mix berry slices with remaining mixture to coat.
- 17Lay slices on top decoratively.
- 18If any sauce is left, drizzle on top.
- 19Chill at least 2 hours.
- 20Before serving sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elizabethan Strawberry Spinach Tart
Serving Size: 1 (1572 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2137.2
- Calories from Fat 532
- Total Fat 59.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1587.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 368.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.7 g
- Sugars 246.8 g
- Protein 32.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: