Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
The classic flourless chocolate cake by Elizabeth David. Needs no tweakin', just eatin' Get the best chocolate and the freshest eggs and it's a no-brainer. This is the cake my 5 yo nephew always asks my sister for and ALL the boys demolish it!!
- 250 g bitter dark chocolate
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 g butter
- 100 g ground almonds
- 5 eggs, free range, separated
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Melt chocolate, sugar & butter in a double boiler of your invention
- Remove from the heat and stir thoroughly to combine. Mix in the almonds, then beat in egg yolks one by one.
- Beat the whites to stif peaks then fold those in also. It helps to mix in about a quarter of the egg to the mix first to lighten it, then fold in the remainder.
- Turn into a greased and floured cake tin - 20cm round or square. Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Cool in the tin before placing on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve to assembled amazed guests.
I have made this for my husbands birthday tonight - I haven't eaten it although it smells lovely... BUT!! The cake pan size is off, I used a 20cm round cake pan and it completely filled the pan before I even put it in the oven. I didn't want to risk deflating the egg whites so I left it in there, but it looks odd as it couldn't climb the sides of the pan so it sort of slumped over the sides. My pan had a large rim around it so it didn't run down the sides but I would advise either a larger pan or a taller pan - actually a taller springform pan would be perfect.
I love Elizabeth David's cookbooks, so I knew this recipe would have to be good, and I wasn't disappointed. The cake has an intense chocolate flavour but it's not sickly sweet. I froze half the cake in slices so I wouldn't eat it all on the day I baked it. It's very good to eat straight from the freezer too - the texture becomes more dense upon freezing, but it's still fantastic. I'll be making this again!
This cake really is a classic. It doesn't use any unusual ingredients, is easy to make and tastes great. It's also very good with some proper cream on the side.